Viet U.S. Navy Commander in Vietnam, interviewed on Nguoi Viet

(Photo by Chitose Suzuki, AP)

When the USS Lassen made its official port call to Da Nang, Vietnam, earlier today, it marked the first time that a Vietnamese-American U.S. warship commander came back on Vietnamese shore.

Cmdr. Hung Le (in Vietnamese: Lê Bá Hùng) was just 5 years old when communist forces overran South Vietnam. The commander’s father, himself an officer in the South Vietnamese navy, took his family on a boat and headed out to sea. They were picked up by the USS Barbour County, a tank landing ship of approximately the same size as the destroyer Cmdr. Le now helms.

Cmdr. Le is a native of Huế in central Vietnam. A friend of the family told the Bolsavik that the commander’s grandfather was Lê Bá Hà, ward chief of Phú Cát in the city. The family friend confirmed that the commander comes from the city’s illustrious ”Lê Bá” family.

A few hours before entering Vietnam, Cmdr. Le corresponded by email with a reporter of Nguoi Viet Daily News. (No, not the Bolsavik.) The interview is published here, in Vietnamese.

Some excerpts:

* “I was born in Huế and left Vietnam with my family in 1975. I grew up in northern Viriginia and attended the U.S. Naval Academy, graduating in 1992.”

* “I am very proud to be an American and also proud of my Vietnamese heritage. As a U.S. Navy Commander, I have the privilege and honor of serving my country as my father đi when he was a commander in the South Vietnamese Navy.”

* “(My father) never pushed me into a naval career.”

* “The U.S. and Vietnam have a growing friendship, and this visit is a tangible symbol of that. I am very pleased to be a part of that growing friendship, as is every member of my crew.”

This entry was posted in successful Viets and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

226 Responses to Viet U.S. Navy Commander in Vietnam, interviewed on Nguoi Viet

Loretta might be going up and down on her bodyguard …but definitely she is leaving her post next year. Voters are tired of her mis representation.

2. Country First says:

* One simple handshake for Commander Hung Le,

* One giant handshake for all Vietnamese from different sides.

3. So What! says:

Hello, anybody home?

4. Lorretta says:

Jung, your mama must has dropped you on the head several times when you were a baby, that should explain why you’re such a DING DONG. Are you sure you’re not relate to Dina?
    Keep having those sexual fantasies …until you wake up one day and realize that all they are were just a wet dream.

5. Pingback: Halloween Games » Blog Archive » Bolsavik.Com » Blog Archive » Viet U.S. Navy Commander in Vietnam …

6. Country First says:

Balance of Power :

* China is emerging to be the world’s superpower with her wealth and manufacturing capability. ( the rise of Ming Dynasty )

* China is projecting her military power to extract more concessions from all her neighboring countries.

* Burma is turning to China for military support, which is damaging to U.S.’s South Asia policy. Chinese labors are flooding Burma.

* U.S. is seeking Chinese support on Afghanistan, Iran and North Korea; while China wants less criticism from U.S. on matters of Taiwan, and Tibet.

* China is projecting her naval fleets all over the world under the pretense of sea pirate patrols.

Loretta, you don’t have fantasies, you actually spend working office hours to fulfill your hot desires with security guard…..instead of serving your constituents. Good bye Loretta!

8. Loretta says:

Jung, the comment you just made should be aiming at your councilmen & councilwoman. I’m sure your community is well awared of what’s going with Andy, Dizzy & Diep Shit. You could try to cover up all you can but the truth will speak for itself. You already know how your community feel about Van in this forum alone. You’re obviously too stupid and ignorance but not Van so I’m sure he’ll do some calculation before he made his move. Hopefully, his decision is not going to be stupid like you or the rest of his gang.

Loretta, you must be a gay in woman’s pantie yapping away like a lost ugly duckling.

The truth is Loretta is going to be replaced by our own viet Assemblyman Van Tran!

Loretta, only calculation we need to do is how much you owe to the US government … stemming from illegal money laundering activity with sister Linda.

11. Loretta says:

Jung, I’m not the one who’s hiding behind the computer desk and yapping away like a fricking idiot. Sooner or later the truth will come out so there’s no need for you crying wolf like you did with Janet. I guess because I’m not Vietnamese so that ” Viet gian ” thing won’t work for me therefore you have to try different strategy. However, when it comes to any illegal money laundering, I can assure you that Van is an expert with a great help from his wife, Andy, Dizzy and Diep shit.

Yeah Loretta… and now tell me that you are working for me.
    Your sister Linda told me not to trust you with bank account transactions and security guards!

13. Loretta says:

Yeah, definitely you need someone smart to be on your side. Keep talking to Linda, she might be able to put some senses in that tiny brain of yours.

Loretta the back stabber, Who is Linda?

http://www.citizensforethics.org/node/39755 Is this Linda we are talking about?

A Linda Sanchez?

16. Loretta says:

Jung, today date is 11/20/2009, we’re not in May anymore so keep up with the current events would you?. And since you seemed to forget, let me reminded you that we are in America where one is remain innocent until proven guilty. It has been almost 6 months already, if I’m guilty of anything don’t you think they would have report it by now. Politic can be dirty but only if you choose to be so please tell Van that it would be wise for him to play fair and square and may the best person win. By pulling another dirty trick like he did with Janet will only make the public aware of what kind of person Van really is!

Loretta, Hmmm ” one is remain innocent… until proven guilty?” You may be right. But did you also know ” two sisters are remained guilty until they can prove funds were not used other than intended purpose.

18. Loretta says:

If that’s the case then why don’t you provide the link so the public will be able to learn about it?

Where? Ah, the state prison where they are going to be booked?

I think it’s going to be at a another state ….since currently we have over crowd issue in our prison system

21. Loretta says:

Don’t tell me you couldn’t find that link, look harder Jung!

22. Easily, the post is in reality the best on this precious issue. My partner and i concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to any future updates. Saying thanks is not going to just be enough, for the fantastic clarity in your writing. I will immediately find your feed to stay abreast of every updates. First-class work and much success in your business efforts!

23. Good day. Very first I would like to say that I genuinely like your webpage, just determined it last week but I’ve been following it increasingly since then.

I appear to come to an agreement with most of the ideas and opinions and this post is no exception. absolutely agree with you.

Thank you for any excellent webpage and I hope you keep up the very good perform. If you do I will carry on to look over it.

Have a wonderful day.

24. GradyZora is the funniest person on the show. This is my favorite show on tv! Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed reading it. I’m adding your rss feed to my Google reader, keep up the good posts!

25. Did you see O’Reilly last night?

26. Susan G says:

I have frequented your site before. The more I learn, the more I keep coming back! :-)